Michael McDonald, a partner at London’s Cleary Gottlieb office, recently distributed an internal staff memo, How to Superplease Clients. Roll on Friday acquired and shared McDonald’s 45 tips to superpleasing clients. While his suggestions have elicited some mockery, some of the suggestions are helpful. Review the list and use what works for you. Some advice includes:
1. always exceed client expectations;
2. rapidly respond to voicemail messages/emails;
3. send topical press clippings drawing to their attention legal aspects (my advice is to use electronic alerts rather than print);
4. set realistic deadlines and always exceed them;
5. come in under budget;
6. discuss costs and billing in advance; and
7. listen carefully to what they want.
To read further on the topic, stop by the library and check out The Art of Practicing Law: Talking to Clients, Colleagues and Others or Building and Maintaining Client Relationships: Leading Lawyers on Attracting New Clients, Developing Effective Marketing Techniques, and Establishing a Strong Reputation.
Hat Tip: Law.com